Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/books.bargains.n.brands/

Saturday, November 26, 2022

Non Fiction November

 
It's Non Fiction November, and this time I have 2 very different books and two backlist audiobooks with sad similarities.

Fans who want more of #thecrown will enjoy Elizabeth & Margaret The Intimate World of the Windsor Sisters.  I'm not a monarchist, but I like royalty series & movies because I'm intrigued by their unique fascinating lifestyles, so different from my own. Well known biographer Andrew Morton supplies quotes from royal insiders on HRM Queen Elizabeth II and her notorious glamorous sister Princess Margaret. I learned about how their closeness from childhood continued to the end, and about how Margaret loved a party and men. This tell-all biography will interest you if you can't get enough of the Windsors.

To say that Hunger and Heavy are difficult, essential memoirs is an under statement. Both authors Roxane Gay and Kiese Laymon share their childhood traumas, unhealthy relationship with food as comfort & protection, and ultimately learning to accept and love their bodies.
From a writing standpoint, Gay was often repetitive, and included a few very short, abrupt chapters. Hunger cannot help but leave a deep impact on every reader or listener, but with the trigger warnings, it's not for everyone.
Laymon's style is so unique, authentic and intense. Just the poetic way he begins admitting he wrote a titillating lie, but learned nothing, so started over, sends shivers. He puts it all out there, never holding back about the abuse he suffered from and his troubling complex relationship with his mother.
These books are surely forms of therapy for the authors. I'm interested in reading more of their work.

In Baek Sehee's debut Korean best seller, she documents her recorded conversations with her psychiatrist. This mental health memoir was not intriguing to me, but rather repetitive & gave off a self indulgent feel unfortunately. I found her dialogue to be too perfect. She used the exact lingo, which is curiously remarkable to have such insight right in your appointment. Her psychiatrist validated everything she said so perfectly. This non-fiction didn't work for me because I was uninterested in the author. I just couldn't get why I should read it and I wasn't able to make a connection with her.
What interesting non fiction have you read this month?
πŸ““πŸ“”πŸŽ§πŸŽ§
I received Elizabeth & Margaret in an Instagram giveaway,πŸ™πŸΌthank you @arrow_reads Caroline. I received I Want to Die But I Want to Eat Tteokpokki in a Goodreads giveaway. 
Until next time,
~Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment