Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/books.bargains.n.brands/

Sunday, July 31, 2022

Must listen audiobooks



🎧🍁If you haven’t already, you NEED to listen to these books on audio! Both are narrated by their authors, personalizing the experience even more, adding rich emotion.

Tessa McWatt does a deep dive into her multi-racial identity in her memoir Shame on Me: An Anatomy of Race and Belonging. She shares her encounters and experiences of growing up questioning her identity and colour through body part chapter titles like Lips, Nose, Hair, and Ass. What box do you tick when you have Chinese, Scottish, Portuguese, Indian, African and French ancestry?
Having a mixed racial background, and been asked “What are you?” throughout my life, I can relate. I also struggle with enjoying the dance-able Trinidad (my father’s homeland) Calypso / Soca music that unfortunately is problematically filled with sexual innuendo, and an overt focus on the female body.
It was also informative and interesting to learn about Guyana’s colonialism history.

🎧🍁
Disturbing and determined. Powerful and peaceful. From the Ashes: My Story of Being MΓ©tis, Homeless, and Finding My Way is this, and more.
Jesse Thistle’s subtle yet strong voice details his abandonment, abuse, trauma, addiction, and ultimately, redemption. His story is told without fear, and is truly inspiring. It’s one I won’t forget. He is the definition of a survivor!

I can’t recommend enough listening to both of these memorable audiobooks! ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
What awesome audiobook would you recommend? I’m currently absorbed with Kiese Laymon’s intense and well, heavy memoir, Heavy.
I borrowed both these books from the library (Overdrive). 
πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦πŸπŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦

Until next time,
~Kara

No comments:

Post a Comment